The Thermal 2-Seal™ Wing Nut Anchor is an innovative single screw veneer tie for metal stud construction, it features a dual-diameter barrel with factory-installed EPDM washers to seal both the face of the insulation and the air/vapor barrier, and unique Thermal Wings that are designed to decrease thermal transfer through rigid insulation.
- The projecting Thermal Wings:
- Are made from steel encapsulated in plastic to create a thermal break, the plastic is highly flame resistant
- Accept a 2X-HOOK™ or Seismic 2X-HOOK™ and spin to easily orient pintles/hooks parallel to masonry joints
- Up to 1/2” of inward adjustability to account for variations in wall thickness
- H&B’s Stainless Steel barrels have one-third the thermal conductivity of carbon steel barrels and one-seventh the thermal conductivity of the zinc barrels of our competitors products (refer to chart below)
Metal TypeThermal Conductivity
(W/cm K)Stainless Steel (Type 304)0.15AISI-SAE 1020 (Plain Carbon Steel)0.52Zinc (Commercial)1.1References:
- ASM Metals Reference Book, Second Edition, American Society for Metals, Metals Park, OH, 1983.
- Lynch, C. T., CRC Practical Handbook of Materials Science, CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL, 1989.
- Shackelford, J. F., and Alexander, W., CRC Materials Science and Engineering Handbook, CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL, 1991.
- Made with a 5/16” hex head, install with a standard hex socket
- Adaptable for seismic zones with the simple addition of 9 gauge or 3/16″ continuous wire and a 2X-HOOK™ Seismic Pintle (SH)
The compressed leg 2X-HOOK™ has been tested and designed to withstand over 200-lbf, in tension or compression, at maximum allowed offset (ACI 530 220.127.116.11.5.4) of 1-1/4” (disengagement of the pintle from the veneer anchor). These results exceed BIA recommendations and the capabilities of standard “round wire” hooks or pintles by over 100%!
- NOTE: 2X-HOOK™ CAN BE INSTALLED WITH LEGS POINTING UP OR DOWN.
- The embedded portion of the 2X-Hook is 3/16”DIA round wire, satisfying the code requirement that the mortar bed thickness (typically 3/8”) must be twice the diameter of the wire.
- 2X-Hook: U.S. Pat. No. 8,613,175 Test results available upon request.
- Thermal Concrete 2-Seal™ Wing Nut Anchor is available for concrete, CMU, masonry or wood stud backup.
- H&B recommends 16″ x 16″ spacing
- U.S. Patent Numbers. 7,415,803